I was very slow with this set, didn’t work on them for several days then finished it all in a spurt of painting over the weekend.
Highlights would be the Treant and the Centaurs hair. Both were mostly airbrushed, the purple to pink of the Tree monsters bark/moss worked brilliantly and the green of the Centaur hair came out incredibly vivid. Love the Vallejo fluorescents.
My technique was to:
- pre-shade recesses with a dark shade of purple/green
- spray the main colour over nearly everything that isn’t a highlight area
- shade again to increase contrast
- highlight with mostly white and a little of the colour
- finally glaze the white with a very thin coat of the colour to bring the white back down and blend into the rest
Got lots of practise doing the non-metallic metal of the chests and I think I improved a lot.
One thing I learned was not to try and blend the yellow of the gold into the layers, it just looks green. Instead I used brown to white layers and then glazed over them with thin coats of yellow until the colour is right.