Writing to document the simple way I did the stone bases for Super Dungeon Explore using an airbrush and oil wash.
- Primed in black
- Sprayed top with off-black (2-1 black to grey)
- First highlight on raised paving stones of black grey (2-1 grey to black)
- Second highlight on smaller area of grey
- Last highlight on spots with light grey
- Gloss coat on base
- Black oil wash to shade recesses darker using sponge with white spirit to clean off excess from paving stones
- Gloss to seal
- Matt varnish finish
That may seem like a lot of steps but each can be carried out quickly on multiple bases, making a factory process for doing the bases. The longest part is waiting for the gloss and oil paint to dry.